Friday, October 31, 2008

The Benefits of Secular Music

Ever since I was ten, I’ve found songwriting to be a great place to vent my emotions, whether that’s joy, anger, depression, praise, or anything really. I jot down it all. At first, my entire goal was to write songs that explicitly mentioned God. In fact, one of the main reasons I started writing was because I had gotten into a debate with my friends (who were a lot older and more mature then me, a very bad idea…) about Christian music. I was determined to write Christian songs that had just as much quality as the popular secular ones.

It’s certainly safe to say that, well, this task wasn’t exactly easy for my ten year old self. I hadn’t listened to much music in my life past what they played on K-love, and, even then I barely even paid attention. I had written maybe three short poems in my life. But still, I though I could be up there with the big guys.

Now, years later, I think I write…moderately mediocre songs. I try to use more then 4 or 5 chords in a song, sometimes it happens; other times it doesn’t. But, the biggest thing that has changed in these years is that I found a little nugget of truth that’s changed my outlook on songwriting, and lyrics in general. In the younger years, I thought that any band or artist, or any song, including those I wrote, if they didn’t mention God extremely plainly, like GOD IS MINE//I AM HIS//HE IS MY ROCK//HE DIED FOR THIS//SINNER!!!! I’VE COME TO THIS PLACE//LOOKING FOR GRACE//LORD, SHOW ME YOUR FACE//ALL MY DAYS….

Er, well, you get the idea. If a song didn’t have those kinda words, it was inherently evil. That was my firm believe deep down in my heart for so long. Friends tried to set me straight. “Why don’t you fill your mind with ‘I love my baby so much sexy baby’ 24/7???? You listen to all that Chris Tomlin junk? You’re so dumb!” Well, yes…and no…

One song I enjoy a lot is the Jonas Brother’s “A Little Bit Longer.” Now, I don’t really listen to these boys often, but I do have one or two rotating around in my playlist. It could easily be argued that the song mentions heaven in the last verse, and that would make sense because they are Christians. However, that’s not really the point. The point is this: “A Little Bit Longer” was written for people who have on going troubles that only time will take away. One of the specific groups was diabetics. That concept, that song, has got me through a lot. Even though the song didn’t just come right out and say it (because 100 years from now, I’ll be with My Jesus a lot longer then 100 years, and no diabetes will creep up on me then) (and no I don’t have diabetes) it got me thinking. Yes there is a whole other discussion about Christian artists writing vague songs to appeal to secular listeners, again, that’s not the point. I was lifted to God, without the Jonas Brother’s saying ‘be lifted to God.’ Simple as that.

The lyrics of a song can glorify God easily, easily without trying. Think about it. Even if they aren’t Christians like Kevin, Nick and Joe are, the words can still be used for the glory of God. Another example I like to use is the song “Stop and Stare” by Onerepublic. I couldn’t understand what this song meant for the life of me, that is, until I read the book “Do Hard Things.” Yeah, kinda random, I know but listen. If you haven’t read Do Hard Things, I highly encourage it. In this book, Brett and Alex Harris talk about teens held down in very prime years by expectations. It challenges kids to break out of this mold we’ve been shoved into by the rest of the world.
Now, look at the lyrics to Stop and Stare:

This town is colder now, I think it's sick of us
It's time to make our move, I'm shakin off the rust
I've got my heart set on anywhere but here
I'm staring down myself, counting up the years
Steady hands, just take the wheel...
And every glance is killing me
Time to make one last appeal... for the life I lead
Stop and stare
I think I'm moving but I go nowhere
Yeah I know that everyone gets scared
But I've become what I can't be, oh
Stop and stare
You start to wonder why you're 'here' not there
And you'd give anything to get what's fair
But fair ain't what you really need
Oh, can u see what I see
They're tryin to come back, all my senses push
Un-tie the weight bags, I never thought I could...
Steady feet, don't fail me now
Gonna run till you can't walk
But something pulls my focus out
And I'm standing down...
Stop and stare
I think I'm moving but I go nowhere
Yeah I know that everyone gets scared
But I've become what I can't be, oh
Stop and stare
You start to wonder why you're here not there
And you'd give anything to get what's fair
But fair ain't what you really need
Oh, you don't need
What you need, what you need
Stop and stare
I think I'm moving but I go nowhere
Yeah I know that everyone gets scared
But I've become what I can't be
Oh, do you see what I see...

Well, I saw a little similarity, didn’t you?
The thing is, the moajority of my music playlist is Christian music. My absolute favorite artist is Chris Tomlin, a close second would be Leeland. I don’t like listening to most of the songs by the Jonas brothers, because most of them are saying the same thing.
“I’m speechless
Over the edge, I’m just restless
I never thought that I’d catch this
Lovebug again…”


It’s not like I don’t have enough hormones, and stuff like that just makes them dance more furiously. Filling my head with it…over….and over……and….over…again…just makes me want it more in real life. It’s not just the songs and the quality I want, it’s the love I want in real people around me. And, well, I don’t want that.
But that doesn’t mean a secular artist should be dismissed as trash.
Think about it like Joseph did:

“As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.”

 Genesis 50:20

Even if the song doesn’t say “Jesus died for me”, is the song like “A Little bit Longer”, one that will help you to look to God anyway?

No comments: